Lisa Lillien is the author of the popular Hungry Girl website and email newsletter, featuring smart, funny advice on guilt-free eating. She is also the author of twelve books, six of which debuted at number one on the New York Times Best Sellers list. Read her PEOPLE.com blog every Monday for slimmed-down celebrity recipes and more.
Bread pudding is warm, rich, gooey, and incredibly delicious. While most recipes aren’t exactly light on the calories, it’s totally possible to make a better-for-you version.
This recipe tastes like a peanut butter cup and is so easy to whip up. Dig in!
PB ‘n Chocolate Bread Pudding
4 slices light bread
3 tbsp. semi-sweet mini chocolate chips
1⅓ cups light vanilla soymilk
⅓ cup (about 3 large) egg whites or fat-free liquid egg substitute
3 tbsp. reduced-fat peanut butter
2½ tbsp. brown sugar (lightly packed)
Optional topping: light whipped topping
RELATED: Hungry Girl: Satisfy Your Chip Cravings with These Healthy Alternatives
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a loaf pan with nonstick spray.
2. Lightly toast bread, and cut into bite-sized pieces.
3. Place bread in the loaf pan, and top with chocolate chips.
4. Blend remaining ingredients a blender until smooth. Evenly pour into the loaf pan, and let sit for 5 minutes.
5. Bake until firm and cooked through, 45 to 50 minutes.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 55 minutes
RELATED: Hungry Girl: 8 Healthy Snacks Every Cheese Lover Needs to Know About
Nutritional Information: 1/4th of recipe (about 1 heaping cup): 225 calories, 8.5g total fat (3g sat fat), 294mg sodium, 30g carbs, 4g fiber, 15.5g sugars, 10g protein
‘Til next time… Chew the right thing!